Sunday, October 31, 2010

DCAHall3 Act III

(Tale Two)
[cut to the Sancheria forest, nine o' clock, the camera zooms in on the forest to the north of the chao]
[it zooms back out to show the chao looking in that direction]
Dark: ..you guys aren't thinking of actually.. going that way, are you?
Shade: Well....... what choice do we have?
Dark: We could go back up the river path.
[the camera looks up the river path, showing miles and miles of a long river]
Shade: ..eh, too far. Besides...
[Shade wipes his face of whatever fear he had earlier, then chuckles]
Shade: .....we're in this for the adventure.
Red: But hang on. That patch of woods looks pretty dark.
Shade: Red, c'mon. It's nine o' clock at night. It's gonna be pretty dark.
Red: But.. but it seems...
Shade: Oh, shut up, already.
[they head to the north an acre, and find things get much darker than they had assumed]
Shadow: ...hey. Red. Could I use your night-vision mask for a second?
Red: Sure.
[Shadow puts on the mask]
Shadow: Hold up a second, guys. There's some kind of big rock.. and it's got writing on it.
Shade: What's the writing say?
Shadow: "Keep an eye on the trees. Stay close to rustling leaves."
Red: Surely, it got that backwards? You'd think we'd want to steer clear of rustling leaves entirely.
Shade: Is that all it says?
Shadow: ......yeah. Wait, no! Somebody's crossed out a drawing of a circle.
Dark: Freaking vandalmen.
Red: Shade, are you sure we should keep going north?
Shade: 'Course I'm sure! Let's go!
[Shade heads forward; the others follow]

Entry #25 (DUNGEON: Silent Woods)
Red: As soon as we entered this acre, I got a sinking feeling in my gut. Things got even darker; we could just about make out the trees around us because they're even darker than our surroundings. Immediately, most sounds went silent. No more rustling of the leaves, no more crickets chirping, no more anything. There was just the faint sound of breathing coming from within us. The strange thing is that we couldn't even hear our own footsteps. We had to look closely to find each other, or even hold each others' hands. We could just about hear our voices, so we were lucky in that aspect.
And just for suspense purposes, we will only be able to know what people in our own acre are saying. So, if I'm an acre away and I say something, only I will
know what I just said. ..yeah, that's right; an explanation.

Shadow: There's something eerie about this silence, though. It drowns out most of the other sounds.

Red: Shade, really, did we HAVE to go this way?
Shade: We didn't HAVE to, but where's the fun in just leaving it go unexplored?
Red: Argh, curse the curiosity of science.

Dark: ..whoa, did anyone else suddenly hear that?
Red: It sounded like the rustling of leaves.
Shadow: Really?
Red: I.. I think so.
Shadow: Which way was it?
Red: To the.. um.. West of us.
Shadow: Shade, can we...?
Shade: No way! Red made a good point earlier by saying that we should steer CLEAR of rustling leaves.
Shadow: ..so.. what? Are we going to the East, then?
Shade: Of course.

Red: The acre we just entered is equally dark. The sound of rustling leaves is a little louder, coming from the way we came.

Shadow: Hey, guys...
Shade: You seeing what I'm seeing?
Shadow: That tree, yeah. It's the Landmark tree.
Red: The Landmark Tree? Hm, let me check back through the logs...

"This is a tall tree. I mean, REALLY tall. It easily towers over most of the other trees. It's also a sorta slim one.
Looking up at the top, it's got tons of leaves and some branches.. and.. it's a tree.
But, most distinguishable about it, is that it is a considerably dark tree. Easy to spot from the others."

Hm. The tree we are currently looking at is certainly darker than the ones around us. It's slim, yeah.
Shadow: So yeah! It's gotta be the Landmark tree.
Red: Now hold up a minute--
Shade: Yeah, yeah, shut up. You talk a lot, y'know that?

Dark: Um.. so where do we go now?
Shade: Well, the leaves are still rustling to the West, so let's go East s'more.

Red: This next acre is equally dark, though I get the feeling it might be a shade darker.
Shade: Heh.
Dark: That was cool.
Red: I can't hear rustling leaves anymore. The sound has been eaten up by the silence.

Shadow: Well, Shade? Where to now?
Shade: That's a good question, kid. I say we try North for once. Any objections?
Dark: Birchman. ...no.
Red: Not really. Let's try it.

My earlier assumption was correct, it seems, as this acre is a shade lighter than the last. Still no audible leaves, though.
Shade: Okay, I have an idea. Let's keep going North. I'm getting good vibes.
Shadow: I don't think we have any objections to that, so.. let's do it.

Red: Next acre! Seems even brighter. I can actually hear my own footsteps now. No other sounds, though.

Further still, and the light has returned to its normal level. I can even see into the next acr--
Shade: WHOA! RED! Man! *pant* Are you CRAZY?!
Red: Wh..what?
Shade: Where the heck are you going?!
Red: Uh.. North, like you said.
Shadow: *pant* Shade.. Shade said to go north only once. You were.. *pant* ...were going way too far.
Red: What? But.. but Shade said to keep going North, and you agreed with him!
Shade: Dude, no, the last thing I said, and I QUOTE from the script, itself... "That's a good question, kid. I say we try North for once. Any objections?"
Red: No way! The last thing you said, and I quote--
Shadow: Guys, shut up for a second.

Red: I hear nothing but our own breathing.
Shade: Yeah, same here.
Shadow: Four people breathing?
Red: ....yes. Four people breathing.
Shadow: You positive?
Shade: Kid, even I can count. One, two, three, four. Four people breathing.
Shadow: Right. This brings me to my second point. Dark's not with us.
Shade: WHAAAT?! Are.. are you sure?! DARK?! DARK!?
Shadow: I last saw him when we chased after Red.
Red: That was, what, two acres ago?
Shade: Oh.... c'mon, guys. There's no telling what'll happen to him out here on his own.

Red: We've only gone back one acre, and yet already the darkness and silence have returned to full throttle.

Shade: DARK?! DAAARK! SPEAK TO ME, BUDDY! Ack! What was that?!
Red: Sounded like a twig being stepped on.
Shade: It's gotta be him. Dark!
Shadow: Shade, wait up!

Red: I think we are now in the acre to the west of.. the one we were just in. In which we were just. Still dark. Still strangely quiet.

Shade: Any sign of him? DARK?!
Red: Holy shrimp!
Shade: What?
Red: I.. thought I saw Dark.
Shade: WHAT?! WHERE?!
Red: I mean.. it was just his mask. I saw it move over there.
Shadow: That's South of here.
Shade: I'M COMING, BUDDY!
Shadow: Wait for us!

Dark, where are you? AH! There you are!

Red: *pant* We're.. we're in the acre South of the one we were in. Shade ran off without us. This acre.. huh. It's odd. It's foggy.
Shadow: Yeah, none of the acres have been foggy before.
Red: We, uh.. we think Shade ran off to the West.

Shade: Dark! Please! It's me, Shade! Where are you going..?

Red: This acre looks the same as the previous-- wait, SHADE! STOP RUNNING FOR A SECOND!
Shadow: It's no use.
Red: Dammit!
Shadow: He's really upset over losing Dark.
Red: Of course. Dark's his elder, not to mention his best friend. He feels.. responsible for him.
Shadow: I was kinda expecting him to feel responsible for ME, too.
Red: He used to, though I imagine he probably thinks you're just about ready to survive on your own.
Shadow: Hm.
Red: Over here to the North, I think I hear Shade.

Shade: DARK, C'MON! WAIT UP! C'MON, I DON'T WANT TO BE TWO ACRES AHEAD OF THEM! .....OHHHH ALRIGHT! JUST WAAAIT!

DARK! DARK! DAAAAAARK! *pant* Dark! ...Dark..... Dark..
All that running.. wore me out. I need to rest.....
Hey, a Landmark Tree...... the other two.. will be able to.. find me....
*pant* But.. but.. Dark, man.... Dark.. Dark.. Dark...... Dark...

Red: We're now an acre to the North. Still foggy, still tons of trees.

Shadow: Red, did you hear that?
Red: Leaves...
Shadow: They were to the South.
Red: But.. but Shade ran to the North.
Shadow: Let's go to the North, then.
Red: I dunno.. I mean, I'm still not certain that the sign outside was incorrect.

Shade: Dark............ Dark................ Dark........
(....................................dark)
Shade: Huh?
I look up and see nobody around. Weird. It sounded just like my voice, only way deeper.
(Huh?)
Shade: *gasp*
I look directly up, and I see a white head facing down from the top of a..... a... tree?
N-no.. no.. I've got to run!

Red: We still have no proper evidence that the sign was incorrect.
Shade: .......aaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Red: SHADE SHADE STOP
POW
Red: Ow.
Shade: DUDE DUDE RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN
Shadow: What's wrong?
Shade: RUN RUN RUN C'MON
Red: Ah, Shade, let go of us--
Shade: RUN!!!

Red: We're in the acre to the south now. I can hear leaves rustling to our east, which would be to the West.
Shadow: Shade! Maybe we should try going towards the leaves?
Shade: FINE FINE FINE RUN RUN RUN

Red: Acre to the West now, uh.. the leaves are rustling to the South.
Shadow: But... to the South of here is where the Silent Woods stop.
Red: Well, it's where the leaves are rusting.
Shade: DAMMIT, just run!

Red: We are an acre to the South. We're.. still in the Silent Woods.
Shadow: Impossible.
Red: But we are. And it's getting rather cold.
Shadow: How are we STILL in the Silent Woods?
Red: I don't know!

Shade: Okay.. okay.. I think we've put enough distance between us and it.
Red: Oh, yes. Shade, what were you running from?
Shade: Op.. the Op... the Operator.
Shadow: The Operator?
Red: Wait, Shade, that name sounds familiar.
Shade: It's the euphemism for the.. *shudder* ..the...
(Operator?)
Shade: No, that's the euphemism, itself. ....oh, jeez. Guys, quick, look at the trees! Look at them!

Red: The trees in this acre are kinda hard to see, but.. I think some of them are darker than others.
Shade: Look at the darker ones! Closely!
Red: Uh.. the darker ones look like Landmark trees, actually.
Shade: Count the branches on them!
Red: They ALL have branches.
Shade: Is there a tree that has them only towards the top?
Red: ..yeah, one.
Shade: Okay. Which direction is it from us?
Red: Um... East?
Shade: Kay, then. Let's go West. Calmly. (West?)

Red: Brrr, it keeps getting colder and colder. Other than that, this acre looks roughly the same.
Shadow: I hear rustling leaves.
Shade: Which way (way?) are they?
Red: ...
Shadow: ...
Shade: ..quickly. Leaves.
Red: I.. I hear them to the South.
Shade: South. Let's go. (South?)

Red: As soon as we set foot in this acre, the sound of rustling leaves was louder than ever. It's clearly to the North.
Shadow: Did we.. did we go the wrong way?
Shade: I'm not going back there(there?)! ..okay, let's go.

[cut to--]
Red: ...no way.
Shade: This is unbelievable.
Shadow: I'm.. I'm not even gonna question it at this point.
Shade: Red, jot down what we're seeing, please.
Red: Gotcha.

Entry #26 (Red: What We're Seeing)
We see a pathway with trees on either side. All the trees are black, tall, and slim. It leads to the East and West. Behind us is the Silent Wood.
I'd say the most shocking sight is on the other side of the pathway-- a gigantic, multi-acre mansion. Estate? I don't know what you'd call it. Oddly enough,
there are no windows on the side we're facing.

What we DON'T see, however, is our friend, Dark.

Shade: Where.. where the heck is Dark?
Shadow: Do you think he's still in the...?
Red: I don't think we should think about that too much
Shade: But... but... (..........Dark?)
Red: Oh, geez. Which... what... where? (Where?) It sounds like it's coming from right next to us!
[the chao look around for the strange voice]
Shade: Look at the trees! The trees!
Shadow: They all look the same!
Shade: ****. Then just keep running!
Shadow: Okay. Which way?
Shade: ...uh... EAST!
[the chao run to the East]
[the pathway continues for a few acres]
[the chao keep running]

[suddenly, they spot a tall tree growing in the middle of the pathway]
Shadow: *gasp* That tree...
/////////////////////
(Tale One)
There. That's it. I'm done. If you wanna call me crazy and lock me up, go right ahead.
[".....you said you turned in that shack. What did you see?"]
Do you really wanna know, doc?
["Yes. I do."]
Alright.
[subject takes a deep breath]

We heard the deep voice say "Hello?" and I turned.. and the closet door was wide open.
["I thought so. What was in it?"]
You'll never believe me.
["Try it."]
Well, I saw...
/////////////////////
[a tree.. whose trunk has no bottom; the trunk goes into the ground like a thin pole]
Red: That's no trunk.
Shadow: That's a pair of legs.

Entry #27 (Shade: The Operator)
The Operator stands there in all his dark majesty, staring down at us. Leering. Watching.
His legs stand perfectly still, directly touching each other.. a black trunk with no bottom.
His two arms rest at his sides, out of sight. Instead, we only see his branches, extending out of him like legs of a spider.
The branches keep extending... it is only a matter of time before we get caught by them.
His head.. a small, white oval.. is as pale as the moon. It is also as featureless as the moon. Not a facial feature in sight.
Those branches...
His clothing is businesslike and formal.. after all, he is not to be taken lightly.
His branches.. reaching down...
I feel them grab me before my eyes can even see it happen.

[Red has grabbed Shade; he and Shadow run off]


Entry #28 (Dark: Cavern part one)
It's dark. It's cold. It's damp. I'm scared. I'm cold. I'm alone.
Where am I? I'm reaching around... I find a plank of birch.
...wait, no. I just dropped it and lost it.
What else is in here? ..the walls are rock. It's probably a cave.
I'll feel around the walls.. see if I can find an opening.
WAAAAAAAAH

OW. That HURT. I fell. It felt like a long drop. Now it's a little warmer.. but still dark.
My eyes are starting to adjust, though I can't see much. Just.. walls. This looks like a narrow cave.. like.. a hallway.
There's a crossroad here. I could go left, or forward. I want to go forward, so.. I'll go that way.
It's getting brighter as I walk this way.
Wow, the hall led to a big room. I.. I can see light coming from a hole in the ceiling. And I think there's a ladder there.. so... I'll go up.

[cut to up the ladder; it is a small cave room; a couple of torches are on the walls]
[a freaky, red chao is in the room, sitting by the wall; the light from the torches is reflecting off of him]
?: What the? Who are you?
Dark: Um.. I'm.. Dark.
?: Oh. I'm Amphis. What are you doing down here?
Dark: I, uh.. um.. I don't know. I was in the forest.. then I just...
Amfy: The forest? You don't mean.. the Silent Wood?
Dark: The quiet place, yeah. Shade and the others deserted me, and--
Amfy: 'Shade?'
Dark: Yes, Shade. The old main protank..Onnett.
Amfy: The old protagonist, you say? ...who else?
Dark: Uh.. there was Red.. and the birchman.. and.. the new guy. Shady? Shadoo? Shadoe?
Amfy: Shadow?
Dark: Yeah! Yeah, that's it!
Amfy: Hmmm... Shadow.. I see. In the Silent Wood?
Dark: Yes.. but I'm sure they're out by now. They're smart.
Amfy: I see. By the way, Dark, was it?
Dark: Yeppers?
Amfy: What day is it?
Dark: Rocktober the 31st, dude. Helloween.
Amfy: Halloween, you say?
Dark: And so?
Amfy: Hrm.
[Dark looks at Amphis' freaky redness]
Dark: Man, why do you look so freaky?
Amfy: Freaky? How so?
Dark: Like.. you're all.. red! And.. freaky!
Amfy: Oh, hmph. Typical. I get stuck with the dumb one.
Dark: What?
Amfy: Nothing! You see, dummy, I look like this 'cause I'm a double-power chao.
Dark: A double-colony-what now?
Amfy: *sigh* A.. a Power/power chao.
Dark: Are you a Dark chao or a dumb chao?
Amfy: You're one to talk.
Dark: Huh?
Amfy: I'm a neutral chao. Not from around here. ...as neither are you.
Dark: How did you know?!
Amfy: There's something about you. Something.. stupid.
Dark: That's what my man always says.
Amfy: Your 'man?'
Dark: Did I say that? Sorry. Meant mom. Words are close, y'know?
Amfy: You want to get out of here, don't you?
Dark: Oh, most certainly, sir!
Amfy: Right, then. You need to go into the room to the north of here.
Dark: What's in there?
Amfy: Come. I'll show you.

Entry #29 (Dark: Cavern part two)
The Amphy guy led me into some big chamber-ish room. He then told me to check my inventory or whatever.

-one simple Masky mask (Dark)
-one assault rifle (Amphis)
-one plank of birch (Dark)
-one torch (Amphis)

And, uh.. here we are. A big room. Nothing's in here.
WHOA WHOA WHAT WHAT
"Shut your mouth, dummy."
Whoa, wha.. he threw his torch to the other end of the room.
"There is something in this room. It's attracted to the light."

I look.
It's horrible.
It's.. it's..
I'm not sure, really.

"There's a door. Back where you came. A locked door. I had the key.. then I came in here. That ate it."
Amphy seemed kinda scared when he said that. I get the feeling he doesn't even know what the thing is, himself.
"It's.. it's a goblin. And it's come from Hell."
I ask him how we're supposed to get the key back.
He doesn't answer. He just looks at the goblin.
I look again.

It is purple.
It has three eyes on its back.
It is bigger than us, but smaller than a large dog.
It has three legs. Two in the front, one behind.
The eyes.. the three on its back.. two of them look like insect eyes. The middle one looks like a human eye.
Then it turns around. >.<
Its front is all.. green. Dark green. But it's so dark.. it doesn't look like a colour at all, but I just want to SAY it's green.
It has two eyes on the front.
Two.
Th.. I'm sorry. They're.. chao eyes. Sweet, innocent eyes.
No nose, it looks like..
The mouth is.... uh.. I don't know. It looks like a tube. I THINK that's its mouth.

Then I felt something touch me, and I almost screamed.
It was Amphyman's gun.
He was handing it to me.
No, no, I can't. I can't.
"You're gonna have to. For the key."
But why me?

...oh.

He's gone.

I pick up the rifle.
But no! I can't!
I point the rifle at the creature.
C'mon, this is crazy! I can't!
I take the safety off.
What the heck am I doing? I can't shoot that thing!
I whistle, attracting the creature's attention.
Oh, it's gonna happen.. stop paying attention. Zone out. C'mon.
It mutters a low scream that shakes the cave.
Zone out! ZONE OUT! I don't want to see this!
I wait for it to charge at me.
Zone
BANG
out. Please.

Huh. I.. I did it. But wait, he said that thing ate the key. Does that mean I'm gonna have to..?
Oh. Oh, please, no.

I step up to the dead body.
Please.
I shove my gun into the body, creating a hole.
This is disgusting.
I then shove my arm into the body, digging around.
Beauty and the Beast Unit. C'mon. Just think about the Beauty and the Beast Unit.
My hand touches something squishy. Wet. Warm.
Beauty and the Beast Unit!
My hand then feels a long tube of intestines.
Beauty, Beauty, Beauty...
I shove my arm in deeper, going past the intestines.
Beauty and the birch Unit.
My arm hits another organ, which frees some trapped air.
BEAUTY AND THE BEAST UNIT.
The freed air gusts out of the body and out into the cave.
LAUGHING OCTOPUS.
My hand feels something hard and small.
RAGIN--is that it? C'mon, c'mon!
I rip the object out. It is a small bone. I chuck it aside, and resume fishing.
RAGING RAVEN.
My hand brushes past some more organs, big and small.
CRYING WOLF.
Then I feel a metal-esque object.
Get it.
I grab it.
C'MAN.
I pull, but to no avail. It is tangled up amid intestines.
SCREAMING...
I grab it once more.
MANTIS!
I rip it out, and fall backwards as I pull the key free from within.

[cut to the previous room; Dark enters into the torchlight with key in hand]
[Amphis does not appear to be here]
Dark: ...
[he goes down the ladder and to the West, back to the narrow corridor]
[this time, he brings a torch with him]

[he reaches the crossroad, then goes down the other direction to the right]

[he reaches another fork-- left, right, or back]
[he takes a few steps down to the left]

Entry #30
He walks.
I watch.
Wrong way.
I laugh.

[Dark stops-- he hears deep laughter coming from the hall in front of him]

He stops.
I watch.
He turns.
Good.

[Dark then walks down the other hall]

Entry #31 (Dark: Cavern part three)
I keep walking down the hall. It's a long hall, actually.
ACK
WHOA
WHAT
WHOA
I'm underwater!
But!
How?!
I was just walking a few seconds ago! Now I'm SWIMMING!
ACK!
Ah! I see light up above!
SWIM SWIM SWIM

Air! Air! Ohhh, MAN. So much better. And LAND! Ah! I can get outta this now.
..this room is pretty big. Much lighter, too. Torches all along the walls.
Oh! I see a ladder over there. I think I'll climb up and see where it goes.


Entry #32 (Red: Deja Vu)
We're in the next acre now. Shade seems a little dazed, but he's running now. Shadow is just following us, keeping an eye out for our stranger.
Shadow suddenly stops running. I stop, as well. I think I see why he did. Shade is confused. He asks why we stopped.
"We've been here before."
This acre.. we have definitely been here before. In fact, I think I know what we'll run into if we keep going to the East.

We're an acre to the East, and there is a Landmark Tree. Just a Landmark Tree. Leaves at the top. Not a creature. It confirms my suspicions.
"Hello?"
...was that him? No, it was way too high to be him. Sounded like..
..East of here.

The next acre to the East.. oh! THIS acre! There should be a hole in the ground right.. ah, yes! ..oh. Dark's here.
He has logs. We all read them, and he reads ours. I then tell the others where we are, and we go West..

..then South.

Here it is. The village.

[it is between 9:30 and 10:00 PM]
[the chao check out the chief's hut]
[it appears to be empty]
Red: Chief? Are you here?
[no answer]
Shade: ...hang on.. there should be a notebook in here. One the chief wouldn't let me look at.
Shadow: You want to peek into it now that he's gone?
Shade: Yes. I do.
[Shadow finds a notebook labelled "Forest Off-Limits"]
Shadow: Is this the one?
Shade: Yeah!
[they gather around Shadow, who opens the notebook]

Entry #33 (Shadow: Forest Off-Limits)
Avoid the subway. Do not go down the hall. Keep your eyes on the trees.
I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see them. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see them. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see them. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see them. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. I did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see them. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see them. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see them. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see them. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. You did see him. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees me. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Seize you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Seize you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Seize you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Seize you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. Sees you. See you.
Avoid the subway.

[Shadow closes the book]
Shade: Wait, what was on the next page?
Shadow: More writing.
Shade: Yeah, but what did it say?
Shadow: Does it matter?
Chief: Of course it matters.
[the chao jump; the village chief is standing at the doorway]
Shade: Chief! Ah.. sorry. We just happened to find our way back..
Chief: I noticed. What is written on that next page matters; show them, Shadow.
Shadow: But.. but... aaargh.

Entry #34 (Shadow: The Next Page)
On the page is a drawing of the Operator.. branches protruding out of him.
o
------|------
------|------
------|------
|
|
|
| SEES
| ME
|
|
At the bottom of the page is a circle with an X through it.
On the back of the page, it simply says "At the tower."


Dark: There's a tower now?
Shade: I think the bigger question would be.. why is a picture from Marble Hornets here in Sancheria?
Chief: I don't think the "whys" matter as much as the "whats," Shade.
Red: The "whats.."
Chief: The important part is, WHAT are you guys trying to do now?
Shadow: Hey, yeah, that IS a good question. We only went out to explore, and we wound up finding our way back.
Dark: And I got lost.
Shadow: Something tells me we've seen all there is to see, Shade.
Shade: ......but wait. We HAVEN'T seen all there is to see. Just take a look at, uh.. Entry 9!
Shadow: *flips through* ..the list of things not to do?
Shade: Yeah. There's still a hole surrounded by bodies somewhere out there, plus we haven't gone down that aisle of trees yet.
Chief: ....*facepalm*
Red: Uh.. Shade? I'm pretty sure the list is of things NOT to do?
Shade: Huh? Oh, right. Fine, so we won't have to go down the aisle. But the other hole!
Chief: Listen to your friends. I told you to stay away from those places for a reason.
Shade: Relax! We wouldn't actually go IN the hole. I'm saying that there must be some section of the woods we have yet to traverse.
Dark: Come to think of it... there are a LOT of places we haven't gone yet.
Chief: Oh come on, not you, too.
Dark: But there are! Those caves I was lost in.. I still have no idea where that Amphibious guy went.
Red: What about that key you got?
Dark: ..oh yeah! I DO still have a key, don't I?
Red: I hate to admit it, Chief, but Shade's right.
Chief: FINE, so you still have places you haven't gone. Why in the world would you even WANT to go back out there?
Shade: Well--
Chief: I know you were followed. But he never comes in the village. I have no idea why, but it's true.
Dark: HE'S A BIRCHMAN.
Chief: ..wait, what?
Dark: HE'S A BIRCHMAN.
Shade: Dark, wh..what?
Dark: HE'S A BIRCHMAN.
Shadow: The ****'s a birchman?
Dark: HE'S A BIRCHMAN.
Red: Dark? ..you okay?
Dark: HE'S A BIRCHMAN.
[Dark faints]
Shade: D..Dark?
Chief: Birchman. Things just ain't making sense.
Shade: What.. but... Dark...
Chief: He couldn't have been talking about him, no way. Our friend out there is not a birchman.
Shade: Wh..what?
Red: What the heck is a birchman?
[the Chief turns away and puts his face into his hands]
Chief: Argh...
[he takes a deep breath]
Chief: ..tree people.
Shade: You're kidding.
Shadow: How.. why didn't we see them?
Chief: That's the thing. You did.
Shadow: But.. what? You'd think we'd notice a tree person.
[the Chief turns and looks at Shadow impatiently]
Chief: Oh, really? You think you'd notice a tree person in a forest full of trees?
[Shadow falls silent]
Chief: You kids had better just stay here for the rest of the night, do you hear me? It's NOT safe out there.
Shade: But the exploration--
Chief: Exploration?! You want to go explore out there? *sigh* ....fine. Let's go explore out there.
Red: Wh..what?
Chief: C'mon! And don't worry about your friend. He's fine in here.
[the chief leads Shade, Red, and Shadow out of the hut and out of the village]

[they go to the pathway to the East of the village; the Chief leads them further East]
Shade: What's over here?
Chief: You'll see.

[the next acre looks normal, though the chao are now more attentive about the surrounding trees]
Red: Um.. Chief? How does one spot a birchman?
Chief: If the tree is moving, or jumping, or talking, or.. I dunno, doing anything a NORMAL tree would find it difficult to do, then chances are, you got yourself a birchman.
Red: ..right. Of course.
Shade: So, uh.. where we goin'?
Chief: Once again, kid.. you'll see.
[they continue going East]

Chief: Hey. Red, was it? I take it you're the descriptive one.
Red: Want me to write a log?
Chief: Go for it.

Log Entry #35 (Red: What the Chief's Showing Us)
This acre seems rather normal. The trees around us are all stationary. However, while the sky is the normal brightness, you can easily see what's in the
next acre-- the Silent Woods. After all, it's very difficult to see further than this acre.
Scattered on the ground are piles of leaves. They seem artificially-gathered, and some even seem slightly darker than others.

The Chief leads us to a hole in the ground. He tells us to think for a minute. "Think back," he says. Then he watches us.
'Think back,' huh? Thinking back... to... ..oh.... OH.
Shade gets it pretty quickly, too.
Shadow is the last to get it, but the first to ask.
"Where are the bodies, then?"

..oh, wait a minute. The bodies. The... oh, man. The piles. "The.. the piles of leaves!" I say.
The Chief chuckles, then says "Good guess. But no."
"Then.. then what? Where ARE the bodies?"
Shade then grabs my head and turns it to look at the thing behind me.

.....you have got to be kidding me.

"I told you to pay close attention to the trees, after all."
"But that CAN'T be.. I mean.. you mentioned the hole with the... that would imply you thought we'd know..."
"I wasn't thinking when I mentioned the hole before. I forgot you guys were new around here."
"But.. how.. what.."
"This is a godforsaken forest, Red. As I said, the 'whys' don't matter. It's the 'whats'.

The Chief started moving back West. Then he turned to us and said,
"My point is simple. You can explore if you want. But don't come crying to me if you end up.. like these guys.
If you don't want to explore anymore, you can come back to the village. Your friend will be there, too."
And with that, he was gone.

I looked at Shade, who looked at Shadow, who looked back at him, who then turned to look at me.
Shadow suggested we turn back.
Shade, unexpectedly, agreed.
We then went back.

Log Entry #36 (Shadow: The Checklist Gets Relevant)
If we value our lives in any form, we should NOT, under any circumstances,
- Follow and/or approach the "other chao." (I actually don't think we've seen him for a while. What happened to him?)
- Go near that aisle of trees. (We're still doing well in that regard.)
- Enter any holes in the ground, whether surrounded by bodies, or with a ladder inside. (Well, Dark EXITED one, and we went close to the other one.)
- Go in any houses. (Not this time!)
- Go in ANY houses. (Hahaha!)
- Go NEAR any houses. (Yeah, we didn't go NEAR any. ..actually, we DID, didn't we? That humongous estate north of the Silent Woods...)
- Enter any houses. (Bam.)
- Go in any houses. (Well, I mean, we did that in Scruple. And I guess we entered the Chief's hut, but.. that's not a house.)
Oh, and we must make sure to keep our eyes on the trees. That sounds fairly easy, considering we'll be in a forest.

"Keep our eyes on the trees." That makes perfect sense now.

Log Entry #37 (Red: Loose Ends)
So.. I am pretty sure we've nearly explored the whole forest. We have seen just about all there is to see, and encountered more than enough threats for one
night. The question is, have we encountered enough threats for a Halloween? ...no. The question is.. enough for TWO Halloweens, isn't it? Gah, DJay missed
ONE year due to being busy.. and now he's the opposite of busy and wants to make up for it, doesn't he? I'm afraid he might end up making up for it with our
lives eventually. Good Apollo, I'm getting out of this damn forest. I am.

But, though we have encountered so many threats, and explored many a setting.. what else is there? I guess I should make my own little checklist.
- Birchmen. What are they, REALLY? Are they REALLY the dead travelers, back for some kind of vengance? And what can they do?
- Dark said, and I quote, "HE'S A BIRCHMAN." He said it more than once, too. The Chief says it's not the Operator, so.. who?
- For that matter, Dark has been acting strange lately. Why?
- Where DID that Amphis fellow, mentioned in Dark's logs, go?
- What is down that other path in the underground catacombs?
- What is inside that hole? The one with all the bodies?
- What about that large estate?
- The Operator. Something's not right. It seems like he's just tacked on to all of this... but I'm sure he plays a much bigger part.
- The village Chief. I'm sorry, but really. I'm curious about him. Who is he?
- HOW THE HELL DO WE GET OUT OF HERE?!

Log Entry #38 (Shade: Birchmen?)
Something strange is going on. Definitely. Metaliterately speaking, we just found out about the alleged "main bad guy" at least halfway into the story.
It's not like DJay to do that. At least, not anymore. And we've been in these woods for.. what, two hours now? I think we would have noticed a moving tree.
The only 'tree' that did anything turned out to be the Operator. Granted, Dark is the one who brought up these "birchmen.." and I AM willing to trust him.
I know I'm worried about him.

..thinking back.. I'm sure I've heard of our mystery baddies somewhere before. I get the feeling I've heard it so many times.. tonight.


(Tale Three)
[cut back to Mephiles in the house]
[in the next room is the young woman sitting on the ground next to a corridor]
Mp: ..h..hello?
[she gets up and runs to the left, down the corridor and out of sight]
Mp: Hey! Wait for me, please!
[around the corner, he sees the corridor lead down to a wall, and nothing but]
Mp: W..what?
[the woman appears for a split second down the corridor, then the walls start shaking; wall panels fall off]
Mp: ..wh..
[the woman appears directly in front of him, then disappears]
[suddenly, there is a door at the other end of the corridor, as well as two zombies]
[he kills them, then enters the next room]
Mp: Oh, my goodness.
[in the next room is the young woman.. she has hung herself]
Mp: That.. but..
[he looks away, then looks back to see just an empty room]
[he heads toward the door at the other end of the room]
[sniffle]
Mp: ..?
[he turns and sees the woman standing in the middle of the room, looking at him]
Mp: Whoa!
[she vanishes]
[the door behind him unlocks]
Mp: Wh..
[the next room is another corridor with 3 doors-- the one he came through, one on the left, and one on the right]
[also zombies]
[they die]
[Mephiles spots a shotgun case in the middle of the room]
Mp: Oh? Shotgun. Sounds good.
[he breaks the glass and grabs the shotgun]
Mp: Hell yeah, man. Now I can finally do som--
CRASHYEAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
[the door on the left has smashed open by Mecha Knuckles]
Mp: HOLY ****!!!
MK: Bahahahahaha! You're WAY too on-edge, man!
Mp: D-don't DO that, Mecha! Where's the Tails Doll?
MK: He's gone upstairs to check if there's anyone up there. YOU find anyone yet?
Mp: ...no, not yet. But this is a really freaky place, man. I'm not too fond of the idea of sticking around for too long.
MK: Hey, don't worry 'bout it. I'm pretty sure this place is devoid of any life. I was gonna just go get the Doll and find you, then we'd leave.
Mp: Alright. Yeah. I like that plan.
MK: There ya go. C'mon, let's find our way upstairs.
[they go through the door to the right and find a hall that has been boarded up]
MK: Well! Guess I'll start bashing through th
BASH TEAUAASHFAAAAAARRRRRRRR
[a bizarre grey deformed zombie smashes through the barricade, screaming]
MK: HOLY CRAP HOLY CRAP HOLY CRAP
[PUNT!]
[the zombie flies away and dies]
MK: ....there. Nothing to worry about.
Mp: But what WAS--
MK: Shhhh. Nothing to worry about. Here. Let's try this door.
[they try the door on the right of the hallway; it's locked]
MK: Pfft. I bet all this time, you've been going AROUND these doors.
Mp: Well, um.. yeah.
[Mecha breaks the door down]
MK: Scrub.
[they find a staircase and head up]
[the next room is a nursery, complete with rocking horse and toys, and a big vanity mirror]
[the rocking horse begins rocking by itself]
Mp: ..eah.
MK: Tsk, it's just a nursery, man. Nothing's gonna hurt you.
[Mecha opens the next door]
[SMASH]
MK: What was that?
Mp: I.. I.. I.. I don't know!
MK: Aw, man. It.. it don't matter none. Let's keep going.
[they kill a zombie in the next hall, then find themselves in a sitting room, complete with fireplace]
[they see the woman from before standing in front of the fireplace]
[they look again-- she's gone]
MK: ......****ing.. house is playing tricks on us. Yeah. Let's.. let's keep on.
[the next corridor is split up by a giant hole in the ground]
[Mecha and Mephiles peer down the hole-- it has no visible bottom]
MK: Now, how in the hell did people build this place?
Mp: I haven't the slightest clue.
[they hop over the hole and go up a ladder]
[the woman stares down on them from above as they climb, but they don't seem to notice]

No comments: